Sunday 7 August 2016

My Immigration Story



Success they say is when hard work meets with opportunity, 20:35pm on the 20th of may, 2015 proved that statement true as my joy knew no bounds, I ran all over the house jumping and I even rolled on the floor outside, I worshipped the almighty because miraculously I had just received a mail from PCAIR(Presidential Committee to Assist in immigration Recruitment) that I have been shortlisted for employment into the Nigerian Immigration Service. 


Having graduated and served my country through the National Youth Service, my journey to a life without connection and godfather in Nigeria started as getting a job was almost impossible, it was like every principle of success I had acquired through reading motivational books, attending seminars, listening to tapes and mentored by great minds never really worked in Nigeria. I applied for all jobs my eyes could catch, I became a regular customer to the newspaper vendors because I paid 50naira without buying but having the opportunity to read a daily newspaper my favorite was The Guardian news paper, job sites like Hotnigeriajobs, Jobberman, Nigerhotjobs through Operamini were the only things that my Nokia browsing phone was good for. I applied to both private and government vacancies. For the private organizations my major setback was experience as most of the engineering fields needed so many years of experience and yet they expected one to be between 23 and 25 year, for example a company demanded 8 years experience and yet expect you to be an engineering graduate with NYSC certificate and be less than 25 years of age. The government jobs on the other hand was just a scam, a waste of time, energy and resources as godfather-ism in top government positions was more relevant than abilities, certificates, experience, age. In all I still believed that with determination and persistence I would break barriers from PTDF scholarship, NLNG, NNPC, NIS and many more others.
I guess most of the great motivational speakers and writers did not have Nigeria in mind while speaking or writing, because life in Nigeria seems totally impossible without a godfather, especially if you don’t have a powerful family name. No wonder the former prime minister of Britain recently referred to Nigeria as “fantastically corrupt”. I applied for the 2015  Nigeria Immigration recruitment exercise as I also did in 2014 for the failed recruitment that led to a stampede that claimed the lives of 15 people due to poor organization, inadequate logistics and lack of planning by the organizers after over a million Nigerian jobless youths like myself were made to part away with one thousand naira. Another advert was placed in 2015 on the dailies and through different online media like hotnigeriajobs.com as promised by the President, Good luck Ebele Jonathan, just like a cat that has nine lives which refused to die or allow his back touch the ground  I applied again probably because it was free and I had access to the internet, I was later invited for a computer based test at Chams City Ikeja Lagos, the test was so organized that every paramilitary agency in Nigeria was adequately represented most prominent was the Nigeria Civil Defense NSCDC and DSS as they were seen all over the place with assorted kinds of ammunition, candidates who were awaiting their own batch of the exam were not allowed to come beyond a kilometer to the center, phones or bags were not allowed into the building not even a sheet of paper was allowed, candidates entered in an orderly manner and were first screened and captured with biometrics, before proceeding to the exam hall, the exam was for One hour comprising of English, Maths, Logic and Current Affairs, I did my best and went home, a week later I received a mail that I was successful based on score and state of origin to proceed for physical examination, document verification and oral interview at my state Nigeria Immigration Command, I had no choice than to borrow 10,000 naira from a friend for transportation as I was not resident in my state of origin, I even had to sleep at the bus park because I arrived the venue a night before, the exercise started around about 10:00AM with so many people in attendance and again I was skeptical on how the selection was to be made. We were asked a few questions, our documents checked, height, chest span for men checked, legs and eye color checked, during which the Immigration personnel, and other paramilitary body personnel present were jotting down their observations like a panel of judges because each section had about five uniform personnel jotting down their own observations. I later discovered that the exercise was for three days and mine was the first batch with over eighty five people in attendance. I felt terrible low in spirit because I had expected to be the only one there or at least with a fewer number of people to increase my chances but I left knowing I had done the best I could, I traveled back to Lagos with the remaining cash I had left and resorted to prayers because at this point I was totally unaware of how the final selection was to be made because I remember meeting guys and ladies that looked intimidating both in size and knowledge we shared before the screening started. I monitored the website that was used for the application and short listing of applicant for the recruitment like a 007 agent who was very suspicious of any foul play that may happen, surprisingly after about two weeks, on that faithful night I noticed that the website was been reconstructed and little changes were been made it was clear that the ultimate list would soon be published, meanwhile I was surfing between the website and Nairaland were other applicants who crossed to the interview stage were always interacting together, I waited until I slept off but woke up again just before an hour or two to mid night, checked my Nairaland forum and noticed  people saying ‘congratulations’, somewhere asking others to help them check their names, I tried visiting the site myself but it was not opening the traffic was much so I decided to check my mail box and I saw a mail from PCAIR, I was afraid to open it knowing that it could be a ‘regret or congratulations’ mail but with my heart heavily pounding on my chest I summoned courage and opened it, surprisingly it wasn’t a regret but a congratulations mail requesting that I proceed to Immigration Training School Kano ITSK for document presentation and authentication, documentation and collection of employment letters. At that point my joy was beyond limits I danced, ran, jumped, rolled on the floor, cried and prayed with joy none stop throughout that night. A week later I borrowed the sum of 30,000 naira as I proceeded to Kano by bus. In attendance at Kano were four hundred {400} people including myself all dressed in white short and shirts as that was the required dress code, we were given rooms to settle into while the documentation was to start the next day. I was documented, given my service number, and a posting letter to my state of origin to begin my induction training with immediate effect from that day the 25th of may 2015, pending when my appointment letter would be sent so I left Kano back to Lagos, I can remember receiving two different mails while at Kano from two different organizations inviting me for interview one of them was a major telecommunication company in Nigeria but I totally ignored both, what could be better than finding yourself employed in a federal government paramilitary service especially when it has the name Immigration attached to it. after about two days I proceeded to traveling to my state of origin and state of posting because I was worn-out and needed some rest after spending hours on the road to and fro Kano. I arrived my state command and was again documented.
We immediately started our induction training but to me it was rather a warfare training because we started every day by 5am till 5pm, lateness was a terrible offence that would have you pinning your shaved bald head to the sharp coal-tarred parade ground, yet we were not given any form of accommodation, transportation, feeding or allowances. we went through hell with the expectation that we would come out like a pure gold, I took another soft loan of one hundred and fifty thousand naira for feeding expenses alone as I had no choice but to turn the parking lot close to my Command to my bedroom as to enable me meet up every day by 5am as my village hometown was very far from my command and only visited home during weekends. The training was more of warfare than induction, we became fully skilled in weapon handling in less than a month, we did parades, learnt major immigration duties and even wrote internal exams and submitted project papers. we were made to buy handouts, training materials, paid for our internal examination papers, bought all uniforms and kits from shoes to head gear, we were made to sweep the buildings, wash toilets, cut grasses. So many times we were asked to come out on the parade ground walk kneeling, hand crawling, pinning of head under the sun and during heavy down pour of rain as this three months was during the rainy season, we totally endured all because we signed for it, at a point it was like our instructors where not happy to have us join them in the service they did every thing to frustrate us, personally I was given a hot slap twice, I was once made to roll alone on a scratching grass while it was rainy heavily while others left for classes, yet I still kept faith and remained focus because I knew the end was near.
 on the 20th of august 2015 while on the parade ground in preparation to our passing out parade our instructors called on us that they just got an information to give us a break of two weeks as we would be proceeding to our various training schools which according to them would be more challenging and rigorous. We suspected foul play but personally I was happy because I was too hungry, and weak to think of it, for three months I have slept outside during that cold season, I have not eaten any good food and have not had a good sleep or bath. The next day before I felt my motor park residence preparing to go to my village before going back to Lagos I heard over the radio that our recruitment had been cancelled and the CG suspended, I quickly contacted my colleagues and I was shown a letter from the service headquarters Abuja stating that all newly recruited staff should by quietly dispersed from all state command, the circular advised that each command should do it in such a way that it would not cause public attention.
After dispersal I waited for about a month in my village home town believing that things would be sorted out yet nothing happened, I travelled back to Lagos, where my landlady was eagerly waiting for me to pay her one year arrears of rent I owed and probably an advance since she knew of my new job and level. Few months passed and i was now owing may landlady 18 months’ rent. On the 8th of December 2015 my landlady threw me and my family out of her premises that was after seizing my TV and refrigerator, I sold the little properties I had left, sent my wife and kid to the village to stay with my mum and went to scout at my uncles place, I have had to engage in menial jobs to fend for myself, used the little money I make from this jobs in travelling to Abuja on several occasions on a protest with my colleagues from all over the federation to air our plight of injustice. only to hear that the government we all elected into power calling our recruitment which was transparent and rigorous “illegal” while they secretly sent over 1,000 people without any form of advertisement or application direct to training schools as opposed to the normal three months state induction process before proceeding to training schools, funny enough these people are been fed, housed and paid their salaries as opposed the normal three months work before payment in every federal government agency, to the extent that a four months acting CG ensured that his 3rd wife and son secured a slot, whereas 2,000 now 1998 {2 has since passed on} Nigerian youths trained in arms and weapon handling, who got a federal government job on merit are now sitting at home, a mockery to the Nigerian youths, a mockery to true federalism, a mockery to dignity, and worst of all a mockery to our constitution. I humbly call and cry to every Nigerian youth, parent, government official past and present, religious leaders, traditional leaders, organizations, agencies and all governments all over the world that advocate for true democracy, justice and equity should please speak out against this ugly trend that could be a time bomb that Nigeria as a nation is sitting on.

1 comment: